At Springhead Primary School play is seen as an integral part of the Foundation Stage curriculum. We closely follow the work of Julien Grenier and how to build a curriculum which is rich in communication, language and learning.
Play provides so many benefits for our children,
- Children learn through discovery. Play enables deeper learning where children learn what is true and also why it is true.
- Children enjoy play, which can enhance motivation, engagement and focus during learning.
- Children’s creativity is encouraged as they use play scenarios to apply their imagination, practice fantasies and see if their thoughts and ideas work.
- Language development occurs as pupils observe, mimic and test language alongside peers.
- Physical play promotes health and physical development, including both fine and gross motor skills.
- Learning within 'real life' contexts.
- Promotion of language and social skills.
- Prolonged engagement of children in their play.