Welcome to Year 1 - September 2020
Reading and spellings
- Spellings can be located in your child’s home school record, and the children will be tested each Friday.
- Please continue to support your child with regular reading sessions. They will have their books changed on a Monday. The children are expected to read 4 times per week. Please remember to sign their reading record so we know they have practised. Unfortunately, if they have not read they will start to fall behind and so we will give them the extra practice within the school day.
- Year 1 will be given a national phonic reading test in June. The test is an assessment of your child’s ability to use phonics for reading and if they are making good progress.
- Remember that your child will need shorts and a t-shirt for indoor P.E. lessons, as well as a separate tracksuit kit with trainers for outside games. Please ensure that P.E. kit is appropriate for school wear. Football and rugby shirts are not considered appropriate kit for school P.E. sessions. Sandshoes are also still needed for indoor wear. Please ensure your child has their full P.E. kit in school all week.
- Please discourage children from wearing jewellery. Earrings must be removed on PE days (Wednesday).
- Please ensure all clothing, and other items brought into school are clearly labelled.
In Maths we have been matching numerals and quantities correctly.
Explaining coronavirus to your child.
At this time, it is expected that children will be feeling confused and uncertain about the world around them and have many questions. Axel Scheffler (Illustrator of The Gruffalo) has put together a child friendly online book about coronavirus. This book can be used at home to support young children to understand coronavirus and allow parents to answer any questions that children may have.